Sunday, February 3, 2013

Bird Watch: Bhigwan

Wildlife photography is not my area, but I never miss a chance to visit places where one gets to see the wonderful animals in their natural habitat. It is truly a  refreshing and awarding experience. One such place I visited recently is Bhigwan. 

Bhigwan is a small village on the Pune-Solapur highway, some 100 kms from Pune. The catchment area of the Ujjani dam build on the river Bhima hosts a number of migratory birds from all over the world. Most popular among them is the Flamingo. The other notable bird which we spotted was the Bar-headed goose. It is the highest flying bird in the world and flies above the Mt. Everest during its migration.

There were many other bird varieties we spotted, the ones which I remember are the painted stork, reddy-shell ducks, open billed stork, black ibis, glossy ibis, terns, black-winged stilt, ring-billed gulls, herons, egrets, plover, sandpiper. 

Greater Flamingo





Greater Flamingo (Juvenile)




Painted Stork

Painted Stork

Painted Stork



Bar-heade geese

Bar-headed geese

Pond Heron

Black-headed Ibis

Open-billed Stork

Ring-billed gull



6 comments:

  1. Bhaaariiii.... Which lens did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great photos, Mayank! truly impressed with the patience you must have had for taking these!

      Delete
  2. Hey Mukul,
    I don't usually like wildlife photos because I am more into what Hershal and you, smart asses, call "capturing moments". Candid shots mainly.
    Mainly pictures which have stories behind them. And that the reason I somehow never drove me to buy an SLR, even though I have wanted one for specific depths and lighting in taking candid moments.
    But these pictures here are very post card like. Amazing, beautiful, like genius pencil sketches on paper. Kudos. Makes me want to travel, see the places where these were shot.
    Birds, which are creatures which are born to shit on you when you are under a tree, seem fascinating for this while, look colourful, and questions about how they evolved and where they have been, come to mind. Very poetic.
    "Inspirational" is one word for it.
    I some times worry, like one block head (we both know who), if you don't understand what I am trying to say, so for clarity:
    Moral of the story: I gave you a compliment about your pictures. Say thank you. See you when I am pune this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks... thankyou for the kind words.. :-)
      see you soon

      Delete
  3. ek number re mukulya...!!! lai bhari...!!!

    ReplyDelete